Controversy #2 - The U.S. Constitution Sucks

blindpig

Re: Controversy #2 - The U.S. Constitution Sucks

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:51 pm

Two Americas
08-31-2007, 02:25 AM
First, a disclaimer: i am absolutely convinced there is nothing intrinsic to poverty that makes the poor virtuous, any more than there is anything intrinsic to wealth that makes the rich evil. "Good" and "bad" are matters of ethical character (as distinct from what conservatives call 'moral' character), which may be influenced--but NOT axiomatically determined--by one's economic class or social status. Rich and poor each had their own 'sinners' (alcoholics, gamblers, crooks, idlers and misanthropes) and 'saints' (philantrophists, altruists and other do-gooders). And the leading thinkers and activists of the age--the generation that staged the Revolution and wrote the Constitution--knew this; a knowledge that seems to have been lost today.

This straw man argument drives me batty.

Once again, the RCC is far to the left of the liberal community, which is a comment on the sad state of the Left.

The poor are more virtuous, according to the people dealing in the realm of virtue. But in political discussions, those defending the working class don't claim that the poor are more virtuous. Who says that personal virtue is the point of politics anyway? Not defenders of the working class that I ever see.

The Abolitionists said that the slave owners were not virtuous, because they perpetuated and benefited from a terrible injustice. What sort of response is to say "I am convinced that their is nothing intrinsic to slavery that makes the slaves virtuous?" In whose mind would abolition be dependent upon whether or not the slaves were virtuous? By what stretch of the imagination does the subject of personal virtue, who has it and who doesn't, make slaveholding not intriniscally evil?

In the mind of a slaveholder, or one who is sympathetic to slavery, that's who.

Apologists for slavery actually did cite the "alcoholics, gamblers, crooks, idlers and misanthropes" among the slaves, and though they admitted the same qualities could be found among the slaveholders, they deemed that it was therefore a wash - "slaves are no better than slaveholders, so why should we change anything?"

"Oh, you annoying delusional Abolitionsists. Could you please stop romanticizing the slaves and holding them up as though they were perfect? Besides which, all of this talk about the slaves is nonsense. None of you are slaves, you are all white and free, and talk like free white people. How can you claim to relate to the slaves?"
"There is great chaos under heaven; the situation is excellent."

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 pm

chlamor
11-05-2007, 06:05 PM

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:48 pm

blindpig
10-06-2008, 07:41 AM

When I posted Anax's 'suggestions' on what is to be done over at DU I got some replies stating that the whole thing was a non-starter as it violated this or that in the Constitution. What part of 'revolution' do those dipshits not understand?

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Kid of the Black Hole
10-06-2008, 12:26 PM
When I posted Anax's 'suggestions' on what is to be done over at DU I got some replies stating that the whole thing was a non-starter as it violated this or that in the Constitution. What part of 'revolution' do those dipshits not understand?

Man that's rich..its too bad they're not into parody, they'd be great at it..

EDIT: incidentally, the "leftist program" Anax outlined has taken on a new significance without any apparent ackowledgement of anyone. It is now quite possible, maybe even probable, that the banking system in the United States is going to be nationalized. All of the internet leftists feel this is a radical move and support it whole-heartedly and full-throatedly as far as I can tell.

What they miss is that Ben fucking Bernanke is calling for the exact same thing. What they miss is what "nationalization" actually means. Why the fuck should we fix their fucking banking system before..wait for it..fucking giving it back to them??

More importantly, why is not time for expropriation. Why is it not time to cancel home mortgages and build low-cost quality housing for everyone?? Why in God's name should the "left" be trailing the fucking booge in advancing "radical" ideas?

Why should we support any system of usury in any form? Why do we give a shit about "liquidity" when its obvious that lending is dried up in the real economy regardless -- households can't afford to take on anymore debt (lol) and what business is looking to expand right now?

Why should these fuckers be entrusted with the keys to people's livelihood when we have the power to take it away from them?? Tell me the will isn't there..

If now isn't the time, I'd hate to fucking think what things will look like when it is time..

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:52 pm

blindpig
10-06-2008, 02:07 PM

EDIT: incidentally, the "leftist program" Anax outlined has taken on a new significance without any apparent ackowledgement of anyone. It is now quite possible, maybe even probable, that the banking system in the United States is going to be nationalized. All of the internet leftists feel this is a radical move and support it whole-heartedly and full-throatedly as far as I can tell.

What they miss is that Ben fucking Bernanke is calling for the exact same thing. What they miss is what "nationalization" actually means. Why the fuck should we fix their fucking banking system before..wait for it..fucking giving it back to them??

More importantly, why is not time for expropriation. Why is it not time to cancel home mortgages and build low-cost quality housing for everyone?? Why in God's name should the "left" be trailing the fucking booge in advancing "radical" ideas?

Why should we support any system of usury in any form? Why do we give a shit about "liquidity" when its obvious that lending is dried up in the real economy regardless -- households can't afford to take on anymore debt (lol) and what business is looking to expand right now?

Why should these fuckers be entrusted with the keys to people's livelihood when we have the power to take it away from them?? Tell me the will isn't there..

If now isn't the time, I'd hate to fucking think what things will look like when it is time..
Well, there ain't no organized resistance, or disorganized resistance, for that matter, 'cept for us talking to ourselves. It's like Mike is fond of saying, we're MIA. People like us gotta be working the streets, though it'd be good to have our shit together. Bin reading Trot's Russian Revolution and according to him all of the revolutionary parties were asleep at the wheel or had been disabled by the police when the shit came down in February. It was the lower echelon guys, union organizers and such, who took up the gauntlet of organizing the strikes and demonstrations into something with staying power. Who's gonna do that now?

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:54 pm

Kid of the Black Hole
10-06-2008, 02:51 PM

Well, there ain't no organized resistance, or disorganized resistance, for that matter, 'cept for us talking to ourselves. It's like Mike is fond of saying, we're MIA. People like us gotta be working the streets, though it'd be good to have our shit together. Bin reading Trot's Russian Revolution and according to him all of the revolutionary parties were asleep at the wheel or had been disabled by the police when the shit came down in February. It was the lower echelon guys, union organizers and such, who took up the gauntlet of organizing the strikes and demonstrations into something with staying power. Who's gonna do that now?
But we're not even talking to ourselves about this is what I was saying. Everything else you mention is a different question..from what I've read, in April of 1917 it was pretty dangerous to be an anti-war Bolshevik..and you know what happened six months later..

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:55 pm

blindpig
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM

So, let's talk.

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 pm

anaxarchos
10-07-2008, 11:53 AM

If they call for "bailout", we call for nationalization.
If they call for temporary "nationalization", we say make it permanent.
If they call for permanent "nationalization", we say confiscation without compensation.
If they say "OK", we ask, "What's next?"

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:58 pm

blindpig
10-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Why in God's name should the "left" be trailing the fucking booge in advancing "radical" ideas?

Might it be that they're afraid that someone will call 'em communists or somethin'?

Anything but that.

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:59 pm

Kid of the Black Hole
10-09-2008, 01:11 PM

Illinois sheriff: No foreclosure evictions on my watch

* Story Highlights
* Sheriff Thomas Dart says he is suspending foreclosure
evictions in Cook County
* Dart: "These mortgage companies only see pieces of paper, not
people."
* Illinois Bankers Association opposes plan, says sheriff could
be found in contempt
* Cook County expected to exceed 43,000 foreclosure cases this year

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) -- Sheriff Thomas J. Dart said Wednesday he
is suspending foreclosure evictions in Cook County, which had been on
track to reach a record number of evictions, many because of mortgage
foreclosures.

He said many of the evictions involve renters who are paying their
rent on time but are being thrown out because the landlord has fallen
behind on mortgage payments.

Mortgage companies are supposed to identify a building's occupants
before asking for an eviction, but sheriff's deputies routinely find
that the mortgage companies have not done so, he said.

"These mortgage companies only see pieces of paper, not people, and
don't care who's in the building," Dart said. "They simply want their
money and don't care who gets hurt along the way.

"On top of it all, they want taxpayers to fund their investigative
work for them. We're not going to do their jobs for them anymore.
We're just not going to evict innocent tenants. It stops today."
VideoWatch sheriff announce he won't evict innocent tenants ?

Dart said he wants the judiciary or the state Legislature to
establish protections for those most harmed by the mortgage crisis.

In 1999, Cook County had 12,935 mortgage foreclosure cases; in 2006,
18,916 cases were filed and last year, 32,269 were filed. This year's
total is expected to exceed 43,000.

"The people we're interacting with are, many times, oblivious to the
financial straits their landlord might be in," Dart said. "They are
the innocent victims here and they are the ones all of us must step
up and find some way to protect."

The Illinois Bankers Association opposed the plan, saying that Dart
"was elected to uphold the law and to fulfill the legal duties of his
office, which include serving eviction notices."

The association said Dart could be found in contempt of court for
ignoring court eviction orders.