Colombia

The fightback
blindpig

Re: Colombia

Post by blindpig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:18 pm

Southwest Colombia furious at security forces after ’15 killed’ in massacre
written by Atticus Ballesteros October 6, 2017

Fifteen civilians were killed and more than 50 were injured after security forces shot indiscriminately into a crowd of peaceful protesters in southwest Colombia Thursday, multiple sources have said.

Immediately following the incident, police and military officials claimed they fired in response to an attack by FARC dissidents.

This claim was roundly denied by local communities and international organizations.

Local reports say anti-narcotics police, at the command of Lieutenant Colonel Arlex Escobar, fired into the crowd, while an army unit on the scene tried to stop the bloodshed.

A peaceful protest turns bloody

Hundreds of farmers and community members from the outlying regions of Tumaco, Nariño had gathered near Llorente to protest government efforts to destroy their coca crops when the massacre occurred Thursday.

(interactive map at link)

Many of the civilians present at the protest are farmers of coca, the base ingredient for cocaine, which the government considers to be an illicit plant.

As part of a recent peace deal between the government and Colombia’s oldest rebel group FARC, farmers who cultivate coca are supposed to have the opportunity to substitute their coca for other, legal crops through a national program.

In April, over a thousand farmers around Tumaco signed an agreement with government representatives to participate in that program, offering to eliminate their coca in exchange for government investment in the community and help combating illegal armed groups that operate in the area.

But the government has been slow to respond to the presence of armed narco-trafficking groups that have threatened community leaders not to abandon coca.

On September 28, security forces arrived in Llorente and began tearing up people’s coca against their will and in violation of agreements they signed with the government to participate in the crop substitution program.

Angered farmers immediately gathered around large coca fields, worried that their only means to a livelihood would be forcibly taken from them before they could participate in the substitution program.

‘Our own police are massacring us’

When police opened fire Thursday morning in Llorente, farmers and security forces were in the middle of a multi-day, peaceful standoff on the coca eradication issue.

Between 300 and 1,000 farmers, all of them reportedly unarmed, had gathered in a circle around security forces in a field of coca.

The Fourth Region Anti-Narcotics Company (Police), under Lt. Col. Arlex Escobar, and the Army’s Pegasus Task Force, under Brigadier General Sergio Tafur, were present at the meeting.

“I showed up, and we were telling [the security forces], ‘Let’s negotiate this, let’s talk about it,'” one eye-witness stated. “And they even said, ‘Yes, let’s do it. Let’s set up a negotiating table.'”

“And in that exact moment they started shooting. Indiscriminately. They gave us everything they had. It was horrible.”

According to media outlet Las Dos Orillas, it was an anti-narcotics police officer who first opened fire on the crowd of civilians.

I saved myself by ducking down and hiding until one of the soldiers ran out of bullets. When the shooting stopped, I ran. I ran by a guy who was shot, and he asked me to help him. But I couldn’t do anything, and he died. They killed him. I was able to escape only getting shot in the leg.
Eyewitness account

Another witness said, “I saw a guy, a police officer, about 50 yards from me as I ran. He shot at me and hit me in the arm.”

Wilson Varona, a delegate from the Francisco Cifuentes Human Rights Monitoring Network, was also present at the time of the incident. He said, “We had surrounded [the security forces] to prevent them from pulling up our coca. That’s when the anti-narcotics police started to shoot at us.”

“Our hands were empty. We came empty-handed, and they shot at us.”

We ended up fleeing down the hill, but they surrounded us and kept shooting at us.
Wilson Varona

Bloody, pointed fingers

Official reports on the number of dead claim 6 civilians were killed and 19 injured. Other reports from credible sources on the ground say at least 15 civilians have died of injuries related to the shooting.

Shortly after the incident, Colombia’s defense ministry claimed security forces fired in response to “five mortar explosions” and “indiscriminate machine gun fire” from dissident members of the FARC under the command of alias “Guacho.”

A host of eyewitness accounts contradict the official story, however, claiming there were no dissident members of the FARC present. At the time of publication, no police or military officials have been reported injured or killed during the incident.

When asked if there were any FARC dissidents present, one witness stated emphatically, “There were none. None at all. Just us, the campesinos, the civilians, the community leaders.”

“The only thing that is certain,” he added,” is that our own police are massacring us, those of us who fight everyday to make our living.”

A video recorded during the violent incident shows farmers running from rifle fire through the woods. The men are shouting that they are civilians, and they specifically call on the National Army to stop firing.

President Juan Manuel Santos on Friday morning stuck to the official account provided by the Defense Ministry, offering $50,000 for any information leading to the arrest of FARC dissident leader “Guacho.”

Citizens and social organizations have gathered in protest against the violent incident in Pasto, the capital of Nariño, and in Llorente.

https://colombiareports.com/southwest-c ... -massacre/
"There is great chaos under heaven; the situation is excellent."

kidoftheblackhole

Post by kidoftheblackhole » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:38 pm

There was never a way for this to end well

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:12 pm

kidoftheblackhole wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:38 pm
Yep, 'what were they thinking'?

I feel weird criticizing these folks who have fought so hard and long, but what is history for? I keep looking for something, maybe something peculiar to Columbia, that would make the project feasible but draw a blank. It's getting to the point where I'm considering treachery of the leadership. After what we know of Khrushchev it ain't impossible, however disheartening.

kidoftheblackhole

Post by kidoftheblackhole » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 pm

blindpig wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:12 pm
kidoftheblackhole wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:38 pm
Yep, 'what were they thinking'?

I feel weird criticizing these folks who have fought so hard and long, but what is history for? I keep looking for something, maybe something peculiar to Columbia, that would make the project feasible but draw a blank. It's getting to the point where I'm considering treachery of the leadership. After what we know of Khrushchev it ain't impossible, however disheartening.
I don't believe a word of that about peculiarities or treachery. It was a tragedy and nothing else long before this turn and the blame lies squarely on Imperial capitalism.

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:21 pm

In the larger sense. But surrendering your arms to an implacable, vicious foe who does not disarm and calling it a peace agreement strikes me as delusional, at best. Now the fascist run amok, unopposed. Perhaps they couldn't fight on, humans are not machines, but the manner in which this is being done endangers all FARC personnel, their families and friends. Seems to me it would have been better to head for Venezuela.

I just don't understand this sort of suicide.

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Defensoría de Colombia appoints police for massacre in Tumaco

The Tumaco peasants accuse the security forces of the massacre of their comrades. | Photo: El Espectador

Published October 8, 2017

The Colombian Ombudsman's Office detailed that the protesters denounced that they were attacked with firearms by members of the Anti-narcotics Police.

The Colombian Ombudsman's Office determined that members of the Anti-Narcotics Police would be responsible for the murder of six peasants in Tumaco, department of Nariño.

Through a statement, the Colombian Ombudsman's Office detailed that the protesters denounced that they were attacked with firearms by members of the Anti-narcotics Police.

Demonstrators came from villages Sonadora, Restrepo, Vallenato, El Divorcio Playón and El Tandil, and some of the indigenous people Awá, who attended the mobilization of the past October 5 on a voluntary basis.

"We came because of the nonconformity due to the lack of compliance with the National Program for the Substitution of Crops for Illicit Use - PNIS", according to the text of the Ombudsman's Office.

The entity requested that "before the alleged responsibility of members of the Police in the multiple homicide that occurred in Tumaco, the Ombudsman's Office asks the prosecutor and the Prosecutor for a special investigation."

In the mobilization of last October 5 participated about 1,500 people, "in which about 300 were in the place where Anti-narcotics Police units, Mobile Anti-Riot Squad (Esmad) and the National Army were installed", he commented the organism.

The testimonies gathered in the area were carried out by a humanitarian commission headed by the Deputy Public Defender, Jorge Enrique Calero Chacón, in which "they allow inferring the presumed participation of police officers of the Antinarcotics Police in the death of six people."

https://www.telesurtv.net/news/Defensor ... -0037.html

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:25 pm

Something is going very wrong with reincorporation

In 1969, at his seven years of age, Ezequiel Martínez marched with his father and brothers from Santafé de Antioquia, on the hard trail that led to Urabá.

While crossing it they encountered countless blacks, indigenous, zambos, mulattoes and mestizos, many of whom fled from justice or political persecution. They were looking for a place in the world where they could live better.
After spending a year as tenants in the Abibe mountain range, they opted to cross the Gulf of Urabá and the Atrato river swamps to Unguía, in the Urabá of the Choco, very close to the border with Panama.
There they would be part of the paisia colony that founded villages like Urquía arriba, Arquía and Quebrada Arena, that soon would be taken from them.
In 1977, 750 families were deprived of their funds on the banks of the Pelle, Tilupo, Tendal and Cacarica rivers, to form what is today the Los Katíos Natural Park and the great project of the Route of the Americas, the port of Sautatá. Two years later, Ezequiel would be one of the young exiles who ended up joining the Fifth Front of the FARC.
Decades passed, always with the memory of the songs of Alí Primera so fashionable at the time, while Ezequiel and his comrades of struggle traveled from Urabá to the low Cauca of Antioquia, the middle west and southeast of Antioquia, Chocó and old Caldas to the limits with the Valle del Cauca, opening way to what would be, in the future, the Efraín Guzmán Block of the FARC.
Guerrilla life took him to spend some time in the Duda River, in the Meta, where he knew with pride the camps of La Caucha, Casa Verde and El Pueblito. To get there, he crossed the moor of Sumapaz, where he vibrated with the stories that the peasants told about Juan de la Cruz Varela. Years later he would know the Caguán and the great characters living there.
From Urabá he would finally get out thanks to the peace process in Havana: from there he would be assigned the present mission of being part of the tripartite mechanism of monitoring and verification in the department of Chocó. He had to fulfill that task mostly in Quibdó, reason why he did not stay in any of the so-called Transitional Zones or Transitional Points of Normalization.
Following the abandonment of arms and the expiration of the United Nations Mission term in Colombia, after a militancy of 38 years in the FARC (which he joined at the age of 17) Ezequiel participated in the solemn act of the past 22 of September, with which the Government, the FARC and the UN sealed the end of their task like tripartite mechanism.
While he listened to the national anthem in firm position, he was thinking about his future. Fondo Paz had already communicated to all those who fulfilled that task, that accommodation contracts in different hotels ended on September 26, which is why each of them had to see how they would managed to get a roof in the days to come.
The fact of having stayed outside of any Zone, now called Territorial Spaces for Training and Reincorporation, meant for Ezekiel, as for many in a situation similar to his, that for some bureaucratic trap his name did not appear in the lists of members of the FARC, which excluded him from some elementary formalities.
Thus there was no way he could be “banked”, as the inclusion in the Savings accounts of the Agrarian Bank is called, where each former guerrilla is assigned the unique allowance of two million pesos, and the small amount of ninety percent of the monthly minimum wage as an aid to their survival.
Without a peso in his pocket, accompanied by his faithful companion Patricia, Ezequiel thought that the solution to his problem could be move to one of the ETCR. The closest was Vidri. The reincorporated who still remain there explained that they would have to pay a monthly quota of 60,000 pesos for the two quotas. This was to pay, between all, the Zone’s expenses.
The thing is that Fondo Paz also cut services, water, electricity and so on.
Now the former guerrillas have to pay themselves to get them back. Just like food and so on. Without any support for productive projects.
Ezekiel thought of traveling to Medellin, where some acquaintance might be able to help him. Maybe they'll take him in a UNIPEP vehicle.
That was not possible. Accompaniment for the monitoring mechanism was over. As it is: everybody has to find a way to survive. Almost begging here and there, he finally managed to travel and take shelter in the shadow of a family member as needy as he. His 87-year-old mother is seriously ill and now it is up to him to support her.
Something is definitely going very wrong with reincorporation.

http://farc-epeace.org/peace-process/ne ... ation.html

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Intervention of Iván Márquez in the CNE on the occasion of the registration of the FARC Party
Written by Farc

Intervention of Iván Márquez in the CNE on the occasion of the registration of the FARC Party
Words of Iván Márquez in the National Electoral Council (CNE) on the occasion of the inscription of the Alternative Revolutionary Force of the Common (FARC) as new political party.

During the revolution and the Spanish civil war, Pablo Neruda said of González Tuñón that "he was the first that shielded the rose", that is to say, that he fell in love with poetry with the politics of emancipation of the towns and the working class insurrecta.

Companions and companions

Friends of peace with social justice for Colombia

I want to proclaim in this headquarters of the CNE, that the armed conflict that laceró to Colombia by more than half a century, from the moment, is history; is history. May all Colombians of good will, in contemplating the prodigy of the Peace Agreement woven in Havana, embrace and celebrate, both in the cities and in the furrows of the country, and gratefully lift their prayers to heaven. A new era begins for Colombia, the mobilization of hope, rebellion and the tumults of dreams of a people, tired of the abuse of its rulers, no longer wants to be trampled on.

The discriminated and all those who have always longed for good government know that 50 years of armed rebellion against an unjust regime were not in vain. The armed struggle generated consciousness, but also accumulated a transforming power, which is like a great force, for now invisible, but material at the same time because it is capable of overthrowing injustices and taking ahead inequality. That force is already between us, between the people and all those who long for changes ... By becoming today Revolutionary Alternative Force of the Common, FARC, we are giving to the town that power; that overwhelming force so that with its own hands directs the change.

It is time for decisions. To act resolutely and collectively if we want a homeland for all, because I repeat, we already have in our hands the elements we needed to build, from the system and the institutional framework, a new social order that embraces all the children of Colombia, without privileges outrageous and without violence, and that restore the dignity of the people.

We call upon our brethren who, under the iris of all political flags, fight together for the paths of unity. UNITED WE WILL BE STRONG AND WE WILL DESERVE RESPECT; DIVIDED AND ISOLATED WE WILL PERCEIVE, Simón Bolívar tells us, El Libertador.

To the liberal and conservative people, the Communists and the Pole, the Greens, the Citizen Power, the Patriotic March and the UP, the Congress of the peoples, the social organizations that have fought the most extraordinary battles in the streets for their rights, the military and police, the ex-paramilitaries and all the ex-combatants, the high officials and middle commanders of the Armed Forces, the great Christian population, the people who think, we call them to dialogue to find a pact of unity of the Colombians with a single flag, that collects the feelings of all and so to approach the construction of the future, of the country that we want to leave to the new generations and that fills these of pride by living in an inclusive homeland, in peace, fair and sovereign

Gone was the war with its burden of pain and mourning; We've closed that sad page. Now we must devote ourselves to reconcile the Colombian family, healing the wounds with Truth, and engaging all involved in the old armed conflict with a resounding NEVER more that arises from our hearts, and the sacred commitment that henceforth our political disputes will be made by the civilized way.

The Peace Agreement will be the first brick of the imposing architectural work of the building of peace that will be lifted by the national minga.

The hour of change rushes urgently and urgently the door of Colombia, because we have all tired of abuse, corruption and rotten branches of power. We are already tired of impunity and disrespect for the Nation by some magistrates who are absent from feelings of country and pose as impotent and who believe untouchable before the law while filling their pockets. We are already tired of the exercise of that parliamentary style of certain demagogic congressmen accustomed to the highest salaries, fattened in the games and in the fines, of soulless and apocalyptic presidents who persist in their madness of war. We get tired of the unpunished way as they plunder and steal the riches of the country while the people live in poverty. We do not want to remain the third most unequal country in the world; we want to be the first in respect of human dignity and nature.

We invite the whole world to build a decent country and to establish a government that provides human and solidary treatment to its citizens, giving them food, housing, education, health, drinking water, roads, recreation, cheap public transport, taking into account the Colombian poor from territorial plans to national development plans; a government that is respectful of the international community, of its neighbors, with whom we have to walk hand in hand, as brothers. A government that will shoulder the future for the new generations.

We want to see a flourishing field of productive projects recovering food sovereignty for Colombia ... If this happens, there will be no more illicit crops. We commit ourselves to an intense pedagogy of substitution so that the poor farmers stop planting coca. The mining exercise must be responsible for not degrading land and nature, and that the result of the farms is directed primarily to boost the progress of Colombians, not to take everything away, leaving us with one hand and another behind.

Santos has reiterated to us that peace will not fail him, and we believe him. We believe him by his determination, because a nobel of peace presiding over a Republic can not be inferior to the laurel that has girded on its front the history.

We thank all Colombians for their immense contribution to peace, always backing it. And for all those who died dreaming of a country in peace like Manuel Marulanda Vélez, Jacobo Arenas and Alfonso Cano our most sincere homage from the altar of the country.

Former FARC fighters: we are a community of brothers and sisters, we are family, and in it we include all the excluded. We will then continue as a large united family, demanding compliance with the socio-economic guarantees promised by the Government. We will seek by all means the materialization of productive projects and the construction of citadels of peace, so that in the company of the Communal Action Boards and of all those who want, we give soul to the alternatives of good living.

We do not forget our prisoners. That is why we demand that all of them leave the prisons as stated in the Peace Agreement. And that is why we also ask today, very respectfully to the Government of President Trump, that signed the peace in Colombia offer us, as an additional gesture to support this concordia, the freedom of Simon Trinidad that already accumulates 12 years in prison. We ask this grace waiting for you to help us to make the case of Simon be assumed by the Special Jurisdiction for Peace.

Youth of Colombia, our welcome and our recognition. Let us shout VIVA LA YVENTUD to recognize the selfless work of a new homeland that displays the Rebel Youth, the JUCO, the liberal and conservative youths of the country. They will know how to work together in search of dignity for all. We trust in you, in your creativity and in your solidarity.

Our objective continues to be the overcoming of the old and unjust social order, facing its reality today, wholeheartedly, committed without rest in a constant struggle for the changes that many fighters gave their lives, as conceived by Commander Manuel, and motivated in the great cause of peace with social justice and sovereignty; contributing each of us to the achievement of the goals, always supported by the masses, and convinced that the triumph will be ours, that is to say of the Colombians, sooner rather than later.

We will march against the storm if necessary to consolidate peace. WE ARE THE ATERNATIVA. With our red armored rose, let's go PA'LANTE!

WE HAVE JUDGED TO WIN, AND WE WILL WIN.

http://www.farc-ep.co/comunicado/interv ... -farc.html

this is not materialist analysis, this is idealistic crap

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:22 pm

FARC on killings of six former guerrillas at San José de Tapaje

FARC on killings of six former guerrillas at San José de Tapaje

The Political Direction of the Territorial Space for Training and Reincorporation (ETCR) “Aldemar Galán” Policarpa – Nariño” denounced, in a communique, the killing of six former FARC-EP guerrillas, namely:
• José Miller Estupiñan Toloza (Alexis Estupiñan)
• Carlos Sinisterra (Kevin González)
• Edinson Martínez Ordoñez (Carlos “Pescadito” Perea)
• Duber Alberto Obando Vallecilla (Junior Velasquez)
• José Alfredo García Estupiñan (Bruno Suarez)
• Johan (his full name has not been established yet)

According to the communique and based on the information compiled by the ETCR, the six former guerrillas would “have been murdered by a gang led by Robinson Alirio Cuero Obando (Álvaro Galán) y Eliecer García Estupiñan (Marcos Arteaga) among others”.

The communique reports that such a gang had on many occasions been denounced for similar attacks and hostile actions against communities and people working for the establishment of peace with social justice”.

The Political Direction of the ETCR underlines that “such gangs cannot be called ’dissidents’ [of the FARC], as mainstream media quickly and slightly labelled them. If they were indeed dissidents they would be offering a political and ideological struggle - albeit mistaken. Instead they are acting with ruthless violence, not against a State or government but against those who literally are their brothers of blood and community, seeking particular economic benefits”.

Thus, the communique asks a number of questions that need urgent answer: “Who, in the power circles of the State and government, are behind such actions? Who is interested in promote and allow physical elimination of people who have a longstanding tradition of dignified and honourable popular struggle? How can we explain the fact that no one is acting against these gangs despite knowing the names of their leaders and members?”

The communique also reaffirm that the ETCR had “denounced to the Mechanism of Monitoring and Verification the danger and real risk of possible attacks since the time the ETCR was still Temporary Zone of Normalisation.

No measures had been taken and we arrived to the massacre carried out on 15 October. Paraphrasing Gabriel Garcia Marquez - read the statement - we could say what happened in Isupi, San José de Tapaje, Narino, was a tragedy waiting to happen”.

The Political Direction of the ETCR demands “a prompt action by the Government o counter these events and act to prevent them from happening.

Likewise we demand the full implementation of the Havana Agreements so to ensure a real social development”.

http://farc-epeace.org/communiques/farc ... apaje.html

Damn, one 'tragedy' after another
This is so toothless that it's painful to read.

blindpig

Post by blindpig » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:25 pm

National strike for the implementation of the Peace Accords

An indefinite national strike has been decided by social organizations belonging to Marchia Patriotica to demand the full fulfillment of the Peace Accords.

After a meeting on October 18 in Bogota, spokesman for 12 regions and representatives of national agricultural organizations, they decided to mobilize next week against the violations and the default of all-avian accord.

Likewise, they agreed to draft a list of requests to be submitted to the Presidency of the Republic in order to reactivate the Dialogue and Agreement (MIA) table and to demand that unannounced commitments have been taken back by the authorities.
In particular, the organizers of the strike are concerned about the failure of the collective agreements on concerted substitution, the stalling of the National Program for the Integral Replacement of Illegal Use Cultures and the ostracization of the various legal drafts that would allow the launch of what has been agreed at Havana. It is also very concerned about little or no progress on issues such as security guarantees and democratic openness.

This indefinite national strike will take place in the week that begins on October 23 and organizations such as Anzorc, Coccam and Fensuagro have already confirmed their accession. Like the agricultural communities of 11 regions.

http://farc-epeace.org/processo-di-pace ... -pace.html

This is very big, if it succeeds(and I surely hope it does) then all my doubts and fears for FARC were mistaken(and there is something new upon the Earth...). If not the repression will accelerate without meaningful opposition.