off topic discussions
blindpig

Re: What are you reading?

Post by blindpig » Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am

kidoftheblackhole wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 am
blindpig wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 pm
Naw, got it on order. If it is worth a damn I plan on giving it to a high school kid who has expressed interest in politics.
From what I've read it is less explicitly Marxist than Haiphong's BAR articles. But I see what they're trying to do.
Ruthless criticism is what I expect, and done coherently so as to 'set the table', so to speak. A good angle for youth too.
Even an entire society, a nation, or all simultaneously existing societies taken together, are not owners of the earth. They are simply its possessors, its beneficiaries, and have to bequeath it in an improved state to succeeding generations

blindpig

Re: What are you reading?

Post by blindpig » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:46 pm

blindpig wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:17 am
kidoftheblackhole wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:35 am
blindpig wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 pm
Naw, got it on order. If it is worth a damn I plan on giving it to a high school kid who has expressed interest in politics.
From what I've read it is less explicitly Marxist than Haiphong's BAR articles. But I see what they're trying to do.
Ruthless criticism is what I expect, and done coherently so as to 'set the table', so to speak. A good angle for youth too.
Much less explicitly Marxist.Not that I necessarily wanted it to be heavily Marxist, but it could have been a lot more materialist.Not exactly a page-turner for a person familiar with the factual material but it weren't for me as the authors state that the target audience is the anti-war movement. Where's that? Under the Dem's 'big tent, proly. And I'd expect this target audience to be familiar with Zinn, who covers a lot of the same territory.

The title itself is a bit of a mouthful. Is "and Innocence" necessary? It is part of the exceptionalism, yes? Include it in an opening definition, 'freshen' it occasionally & move on. Having that phrase on damn near every page got old. While I understand that repetition is a component of education it also get tedious if overused.

So, ya read this book, ya know it when ya see it, then what? Good for self-criticism, I'll give it that. But will it fire up the uninitiated? Christ I dunno, too much weirdness on the net, too much exceptionalism irl. For the person saturated in exceptionalism(most of us) it will create anger, resentment. But fuck them, right? They was never gonna listen anyway. Honestly I don't know any that this book might positively influence, but I'm a semi-hermit these days. But I'm gonna give my copy to that teen on condition of a response just to see what happens.

So what ya gonna do about this exceptionalism ? It is after all an effect, not a cause, of capitalism. It can only be dealt with after the capitalism which succors it is defeated. Then that's a job for the dictatorship of the proletariat to eradicate. Recognizing Exceptionalism is good to have in our 'analysis toolbox' but is not the hammer we need to smash the capitalists & we already got that, just ain't using it.
Even an entire society, a nation, or all simultaneously existing societies taken together, are not owners of the earth. They are simply its possessors, its beneficiaries, and have to bequeath it in an improved state to succeeding generations