Just Noticed

off topic discussions
chlamor

Just Noticed

Post by chlamor » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:11 am

The original Bell is up and running- at least at this moment. Strange?

Would be nice to salvage those archives- some have been saved here some have not it seems.

blindpig

Re: Just Noticed

Post by blindpig » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Chlams, it's been up since July. There's a link on the current front page. It's all there though access is more laborious. I've been linking to it.

At least that's what I thought, am I missing something?
"There is great chaos under heaven; the situation is excellent."

kidoftheblackhole

Post by kidoftheblackhole » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:43 pm

I intend to fully restore The Bell but I don't think it makes sense to do it on this webhost for a couple reasons.

1. It appears that the vbulletin software license that we have is a security hazard (resulting in the initial hacking/takedown of The Bell)

2. It takes up a LOT of space (relatively speaking), meaning that a VPS is not the ideal spot to park it

Fortunately, neither of these issues appear to be a big deal. I would imagine I can find a space for the Bell for ~$10/mo. I have the mySQL database and I don't *think* it will be hard to get things running, but I also don't have any experience doing so.

What I set up with the archive is (still..) intended as a stopgap measure until the full site is available: this will include logging in, private messages, site searches, and all other accoutrements you might be looking for

To be honest, I've been occupied with a bunch of personal issues that have sidetracked my time and energy but fully restoring The Bell remains a priority even though I don't have a timetable to report at the moment.

choppedliver

Post by choppedliver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:32 am

Thanks KBH, MF (it worked!)

kidoftheblackhole

Post by kidoftheblackhole » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:52 am

I anticipate the old Bell could be back up as soon as tomorrow. I won't have server access to it so its in the hands of tech support right now.

choppedliver

Post by choppedliver » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm

Hi, I can see the old bell in the archives section, and it looks like it's still active? can't seem to reply there. I'm sure it's an issue being worked on?

kidoftheblackhole

Post by kidoftheblackhole » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Mary F wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:45 pm
Hi, I can see the old bell in the archives section, and it looks like it's still active? can't seem to reply there. I'm sure it's an issue being worked on?
that's a mirror which means you can read but can't log in, search, or post. I'm working on getting the real thing back soon.