The Nature of Foxes

chlamor

The Nature of Foxes

Post by chlamor » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:02 pm

The Nature of Foxes

Check out a dozen economic histories of the Great Depression and three quarters of them will report on how the Depression was "caused" by the Stock Market Crash or Hoover policies or real estate speculation in Florida in 1928. The super-heated speculation immediately preceding every single major crisis is not connected with the oceans of cash which always flood their system. Instead, it is all attributed to some individual human foible... just as today.

To paraphrase Malcom, they put a fox into the chicken coop and are surprised when it starts to kill chickens. "I always fed that fox. That was my pet fox. I told that fox to be friends with them chickens." It is so stupid. You can shoot that fox. You can throw that fox out. But, the one thing you cannot do is to expect that fox to stop being a fox.

You can see that shocked look on the faces of various Captains of Finance when they are being lectured by some corrupt congressperson about "greed". Inside, they are thinking, "say what?" Everything about the society is organized around greed, self-aggrandizement, and obsessive individual interest. It is the sole arbiter of a life lived "well". You take that environment and you mix in a tsunami of cash - private equity funds, hedge funds, index funds, derivatives, the ability to trade at any time on the Cairo Stock Exchange, free credit... "and then you say what to me?"

The question they all really want to ask is, "How come we got away with this shit for two or three decades?"

How come?

Because the fucking fox wasn't hungry, that's how come.

~~ anaxarchos

blindpig

Re: The Nature of Foxes

Post by blindpig » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:07 pm

What could go wrong?
"We ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror."